Friday, August 26, 2005

Little boys

Ok, this was meant to be a post about Wendall's first day at school. Then I recieved word that one of my dearest friends has finally birthed her very own baby boy. Now I'm way too happy to actually write.

So. Wendall went to school. He did not even say goodbye to me because he was too busy trying to remember how to greet his teacher. (A hand shake while he says "Guten Morgen Frau Herbst.") I picked him up four hours later, tired and dirty, and very pleased with himself. The only thing that went a bit wrong was that he had expected to eat lunch at school today, and he is not scheduled for lunch until Thursday. Lunch smelled yummy, too. I have a feeling that I won't be packing many lunches for him. We came home and had pb&j and peaches, so he was happy, but I can tell he is looking forward to going back.

To backtrack a bit: Monday afternoon I recieved a phone call informing me that a spot had opened up at St Barbara's Kindergarten in Sorghof, and if I was willing to have him start on Friday it was ours. The school only accepts 50 children a year, and all of the spaces had been filled when we arrived, but so many people have left the base recently that a few of the spaces opened. The school has a mix of German and American kids, and everything is taught in German, along with English assistance. Wendall and I spent the next few days tracking down the paperwork and various items he needed before beginning the school year. On Tuesday, when I am sure that he likes the school, I will have him dropped from the books for the preschool on base. He has friends attending that class, but we will work on seeing them in the afternoon and on weekends.

A big day!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Again, I am so jealous! I would have loved from my guys to be exposed to a foreign language. Even if they do not keep it for the rest of their lives, I believe that just the experience is life changing.