Friday, January 05, 2007

Mpozi Mshale Tolbert



Mpozi was my friend in High School. We met at CAPA, Philadelphia's High School for Creative and Performing Arts. There have been a number of CAPA students who have been sucessful in their field, and Mpozi was one of them. He did not gradate with me, but he certainly did make a name for himself in a creative field.

Mpozi became a photographer, first for the Philadelphia City Paper and then for the Indianapolis Star. He was also very active in the musical world, both as a photographer and as a dj.

Mpozi died in July, at his desk, of a heart attack. The last time I saw him was in Philly, probably 15 years ago. Still, reading the news of his death upset me. It was one thing to know that I once had a friend named Mpozi, and that I would most likely never see him again. It is quite another to know that there once was a man named Mpozi, and that no one will ever know him again.
~
Goodbye my friend.

No comments: