Sunday, February 03, 2008

Good for you, Montel Williams



Montel Williams gives a reasoned speech about the importance of reporting actual news instead of gossip. His show was canceled three days later.

More info here.

This is not a story I had heard, and honestly I don't know how it appeared before me, but I thought it was a good thing to post.

I spent quite a few years wrapped up in the cult of celebrity worship. I'm glad I am finished with that part of my life. Heath Ledger's death was a tragedy for his family, not for the rest of humanity. Thank you, Mr. Williams for reminding us of this fact.

In case you are wondering, there have been 40 US deaths so far this year. I found the information at icasualties.org.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think channels that took the angle to warn people about the hazzards of percription drug use did good. The ones (really same ones, just different hosts or shows) that went on and on about timelines of events, whose apartment it was, the maid, the massuse, all stuff I wish I didn't know anyting about, are in the wrong.

My point is there is a way to cover things that people will be interested in without spreading speculation and gossip. Stories are not researched any more. We have replaced research with "celebrity experts" who hear limited facts and then make guesses about the situation.

Really that's what they were trying to get Montel to do and he was right not to take the bait.

By the way - do you think there is freedom of expression in the US? Obviously not.