Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Bookcrossing (or No, I have not joined a cult.)

A quick look at my Bookcrossing shelf http://www.bookcrossing.com/referral/allysther will show you that I have found something I love, even if you can't quite figure out why. A look around this page will give you a hint that I might want you to check it out for yourself. Let me try to explain why.

I joined Bookcrossing in March of last year. Since that time I have actually spent less time reading, because I am busy with Bookcrossing activities. Bookcrossers trade books back and forth through the mail, forming a global book club. We also challenge one another to make releases in the wild in creative ways. A "wild release" is a book left in a public space, with hopes that a stranger will pick it up and enjoy. The ultimate wish is that the stranger will be as interested in Bookcrossing as we are, and will join the fun.

I have sent books to countries that I will never get the chance to visit. They will spend the rest of their existence traveling from place to place, stopping along the way to say "Hello!". Each book has it's own tracking number, so each stop with a Bookcrossing member is journalled. With this method, the book's journey is forever "owned" buy the people who have read it, even when the book is no longer in their possession. I can claim a part of almost 1200 books, even though 600 of them are no longer on my shelves.

I have also sent books to people who would otherwise have true difficulty getting them. I have left them on park benches near homeless camps. I have donated them to shelters. I give them out for Halloween. Books surround me, and allow me to spread my joy to others.

the bet part of Bookcrossing is getting an alert telling you that one of your books has been found and journalled. The thrill of knowing you have touched someone's life is amazing, and brightens my world every time. This is one of my favorite journal entries, because it truly shows what I hope happens for the books I send out to the world:

I found this book tucked in a busy McDonald's. I had never before seen a "book released into the wild." What fun! Before taking the item I asked around about ownership - just to be sure. I only received dumbfounded stares in return. No one even knew it was there. A hidden treasure! I enjoyed the book and found myself wanting to read more fiction books. Something that I hadn't taken pleasure in since my youth when life spared seemlingly more time for such. I plan to endulge myself in this more frequently now. Thanks so much!

The finder stayed anonymous, which is fine by me. The thought that I could have had something to do with someone rediscovering the joy of reading is all I need to keep going. Bookcrossing has brought the world into my home, and I am so happy to share it with all of you!

No comments: