Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I can drive!

The car arrived today. We spent the entire day doing car things and then I DROVE HOME!!! I have not gone farther than a mile or so at a time since our arrival, because I have only just learned to drive a stick, and I just did not feel safe. Now, with my fantabulous automatic transmission, I can move about at will! Oh, and just for the fun of it, I bought really BIG things and put them in my trunk. It felt soooo good!

So today had me thinking, why do manual transmissions still exist as anything other than a novelty? When color tv was created, people saw that as an improvement and replaced their b&w sets as soon as they could. When the tv remote was created, people again saw this as an improvement. Why is it, then, that an invention which allows the driver to see more of what is around him, while at the same time doing a great deal of the work for him, is shunned by such a large segment of the world? Why do people not want what is easy, and fun. Why do they demand stiff ankles, distracted minds, and overburdened hands? I just don't get it.

I love my car.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and now the adventure begins! wish i were "shot gun."

i have heard some folks claim stick shift is better on gas than an automatic. but i wouldn't know - i never learned how to drive stick shift either!