Friday, July 22, 2005

It's a S.N.A.P.

It’s a S.N.A.P

Last week I took part in a class titled “Welcome to Bavaria”. It is a week long program designed to get dependents off base and comfortable in their surroundings. I wanted to take the class so I could learn more about the area, and so I could meet people on base who might be able to help me over the next few years. I achieved both goals.

One of the odd, but useful sections of the class consisted of visitors from many of the major programs on base. We were lectured on topics such as the wives (social) club, crisis counseling, and financial planning. Vilseck, like most bases, has a program to fill most needs. All one needs is a vague idea of the services they need, and it can be found (or created). It was a helpful few hours because we now have some idea as to what exists on our particular base, and have met the people in charge of running the programs.

One program did concern me, however. It is titled SNAP (The Safe Neighborhood Awareness Program), and purports to be a neighborhood watch program. I joked that it should be titled SNOOP, because in reality it is a program designed to teach you to spy on your neighbors. It was presented in terms of terrorist awareness, and of looking out for your family to the exclusion of those around you who are “different”. I found myself upset over the emotional manipulation used by the presenter. She worked hard on an “us versus them” presentation, and since 5 out of the 6 people in the room signed up (I was the nogoodnik!), I guess it worked.

The idea, simple and elegant, is that we log hours while going to playgrounds and walking our dogs. We must remain ever-aware for the terrorist threat! Remember that Germans don’t like us! We have been victimized, and need to protect ourselves. We can prevent attacks by being aware of our surroundings at all times. OK, fine, I can understand how some of this makes sense to some people, but come on, is there no room for living your life in a positive, open way and hoping that you are lucky enough to never have the bad things happen to you? Honestly, the fact that we (US citizens) have lived charmed lives up to this point does not mean that our lives get to remain peaceful and complacent. WE HAVE BEEN LUCKY, and while I sincerely hope it stays that way, I really do have the feeling that our time is almost up. I don’t like it, and I wish it were not so, but there it is.

My plan is to not spend the next few years hiding behind black-out curtains (yes, they are suggested by the program). I will not answer the door and tell the repairman that my husband is napping upstairs. I will not spend my time staring at every person who walks slowly past my house (at the top of a steep hill).

I will make it a point to meet my neighbors. I will spend time learning the back streets of my town. I will greet the cashiers at my local market, and I will sit in the playground and enjoy the time with my child.

I will not be held hostage to another person’s fears.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am reading your lines and I am deeply impressed. I am a father of a daugther of two years old. I know for shure, one thing that makes your live miserable is fear. I will try to teach her to grow up as fearless as possible. I like your reasoning, keep up :-)

I found your blogg from the book-crossing site :-)