Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Livejournal

So I have discovred something interesting. I have had this blog for well over a year, and my use of it has changed quite a bit. For some time now I have posted more photos than words here, and I don't see that changing any time soon. At the same time, my livejournal account seems to be where my writing energy is spent.

Why?

Because I find the idea of privacy more and more appealing.

Livejournal has a feature which allows me to set privacy levels on everything that I write. I can leave things "public", meaning that anyone wandering by can see it, just like on Blogger. I can set a post to "friends", allowing only people who are livejournal members and who have asked me to let them see my more personal thoughts see them. And best of all, I can set things to "private", leaving me room to rant and rave with no witnesses at all. Private posts are for the poster only. You can even filter your "friends" list, allowing some to see not quite as much as others. A good example of this is a friend of mine who was writing details of her sex life. She sent out a message that anyone who was uncomfortable should tell her, and she would filter them out of those entries.

So why am I posting this here? Especially if I am telling people that they are not allowed to read everything I write over there? Because I have had a few poeple around me mention that they suspect that someone is reading what they say when they would rather keep things private. I understand wanting to shield myself from coworkers (I remember having them!) and even family. I figured that rather than email people directly I would post this here. If you think I mean you, I do. If you think you are the person I do not want reading my personal thoughts, you are. If you are a random person surfing by, and you have read this and it has helped, hi, and you are welcome.

Oh, and if you want to head over to livejournal, set up a free account, and ask to be my friend, I will probably say yes. There isn't a huge amount I keep to myself, and that often ends up in the "private" bin, so you wouldn't get to read it anyway.

No comments: