Saturday, December 02, 2006

Happy Feet and a sleepover

The boy is having a sleepover tonight. His friend Daniel is here, and they are finally asleep after a wild night of movies and playing.

HUG


We went to see Happy Feet. What a weird movie! It is billed as a comedic kids movie, but is instead an animated March of the Penguins combined with a bunch of other stuff. The two main themes are ecology and religion. It was a slow moving movie, and very heavy with morals. The strange thing about it is that nowhere in the research I did on the film did it say anything about the anti-religious tone in the movie, and the ecological themes were mentioned only briefly. They were major aspects of the film. It was not very funny, and unfortunately bored the boys (who are both five). Ah well. The good news is that we got in for free due to some coupons I found. Not that I would not have paid to see the movie, but I did leave feeling that I had been tricked, and I actually agreed with a good deal of the propaganda in the film! The animaton had a few spectaclar moments, though.

Anyway, I'm off to pet a kitty and read for a bit.

2 comments:

chuck said...

Good to know we were going to make a special trip to the Roxy just to see this and now I think we would have been very upset as the guys thought it was going to be very funny and upbeat.

allysther said...

I would say that waiting for the video would do well. The animation really was well done, but if the boys had not stopped paying attention we would have had a bunch of questions to answer!