Monday, December 11, 2006

Small Town Life

Tomorrow morning will be amazing. The people of Vilseck are waiting patiently for the opening of our brand new market. An Edeka Markt is opening on Amberger Strasse. It is billed as a "Schlemmerparadies", and promises to have all of our shopping needs under one roof. It will even feature a bakery and a small cafe.



The opening tomorrow (at 8am) will be the end of a full year of construction. The store will be open for 12 hours every day, and has a large well lit parking lot. It is directly across the street from a bus stop, and is on the main street of town.


It is also at the bottom of my block. I pass it at least twice a day as the boy and I walk to and from the bus. The opening time means that I will be able to get the boy on the bus and then do my daily shopping on my way home. I may even sit and have a cup of coffee at times. The elder Wendall (the one who does not shop) has found my excitement over the store amusing.

Here's what he misses: Last week, the boy announced to all of the employees at the commisary that we would not have to shop there anymore. He told his friends that a new store is opening right near our house, and we could "go there whenever we want!" Then, on the way to the bus this morning he asked if the store was open today. I said no, and then looked over at the building. We watched two women rush over to the door and dance on the pressure sensitive entrance. When the doors did not open they stopped dancing and spent a few moments peering through the windows. Wendall asked if it would open tomorrow, and when I told him yes he asked if we could go see it after school tomorrow. I promised him that we could buy his after school snack, and he went to school a happy boy.





Just wait 'til he sees the face painting!

3 comments:

skeet said...

Waiting patiently for a report of your shopping extravaganza ... hopefully with pictures of painted faces!

allysther said...

I will update tomorrow, right after the face painting.

So far we have been to the store 329930970837535 times or so.

skeet said...

LOL! Is the boy obsessing?

Hugs to all!