Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Who is Coming?

Who is coming?
Who is coming?, originally uploaded by allysther.

The photo is a page from a story that the boy brought home as homework. It is possible that this might just be the thing I've liked best about his school so far.

I think the school photo thing was made ok. I talked to the photographer who took my check and promised to find the session. It should be fine.

I also stopped by the desk at the school library. The boy asked me to ask about a certain book which he thought he might like to read. He was not sure if he was allowed to check it out. I asked the librarian and was told that he would be encouraged to leave it for another student as it was beyond his reading level. First graders are only allowed one book at a time and the book should be at their reading level, because "why would they bring home a book that they could not read?" I replied "Because their parents could read it for them!"

The library did not open at all until late September, and until it was open the kids were not allowed to touch any of the books. It looks like most of the library is off limits to a large portion of the kids, and the boy is disappointed. So am I.

This week is the anti-drug week at school, which means it was the perfect time for the elder Wendall's latest project to be delivered. He is going to try his hand at home brewing. After sitting through a lecture from his son he will set up his Mr Beer kit in the spare room. It should be fun, and will be a good alternative to spending $10 for a German beer downtown.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to read the last paragraph twice to see which Wendall was brewing beer!! - deb

allysther said...

HAHAHAHA!

Although....we actually ordered a root beer kit, as well, so after the real beer is brewed we will make some root beer with the boy.

Anonymous said...

I'm disappointed with your reply to the first commenter...I thought the homemade beer was going to be his school project in response to the anti-drug program. I guess that would really be pushing the teacher too far.

So the image...was that from a story?

Anonymous said...

Never mind... I got my answer on Flickr...