Wednesday, January 19, 2005

For those who missed the announcement...

My family was lucky enough to have a group honeymoon a few weeks ago.

My older brother became engaged last summer, and they decided to have a small beach wedding on New Year's Eve. My father is ordained, so they asked him to officiate. My mother and I put together all of the food (a picnic feast), my husband and a friend set up the site (Waimea Bay on the north shore of Oahu), and friends of the bride and groom provided the music. Oh, and the bride made her own cake.

As a wedding gift, we purchased tickets for the couple to go with us to the Big Island to hike the volcano. I've lived here for four years and had never been to any of the other islands, and my Mother had stated (well before we knew there would be a wedding) that this would be the year. The trip had already been planned for my parents, my husband, my son, and myself. Adding the newlyweds was fun, and then my younger brother also joined the adventure.

My husband and I married ten years ago, and could not afford a honeymoon. We were instead followed home from our wedding by his brother, who stayed a few days, and then by my older brother, who also stayed for a few days. My husband, sensing a pattern, immediately started calling our family vacation a group honeymoon.

We landed in the morning, had a hearty breakfast, checked into our rooms (a four bedroom cabin), changed, and headed for the volcano. The hike was spectacular, and we were all blown away by what surrounded us. The Kilauea Iki crater last erupted in 1959, but life is still new along the crater floor, and steam still rises from cracks along the path.

Halfway across the crater, my parents stopped, looked at my husband, and said, "This is the place." They asked us to form a circle, and he opened a notebook. After 35 years of love, they had decided to marry. My husband, (also ordained) was the only one they had told, and my brothers and I were all moved to tears as he read the service. At the end of the ceremony, they walked around the circle formed by their children and grandchild, and to each of us they said "With this ring, I thee wed." It was truly the most wonderful wedding I've ever witnessed, partially because theirs has been one of the most amazing marriages I've ever witnessed. It was truly an honor to be a part of their ceremony.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Alice! Wow, what a beautiful story. I always enjoy hearing about the love that is in your family!

Anonymous said...

This is Holly. Got chicken skin and started to cry at the image of parents walking around their circle of family and saying "with this ring I thee wed." How truly beautiful. Thanks for taking us there.

Anonymous said...

This is Holly. Did post this comment, but it didn't show up. Just wanted to tell you how beautiful that image of your parents walking around the circle of their family and saying "with this ring I thee wed" was. I got chicken skin and cried when I read it. Thanks for taking us there.

allysther said...

Thanks, everyone! Your comments made me smile. I'm so happy that I was able to share this with you.