Saturday, February 26, 2005

The most wonderful thing just happened!

We went on a quick outing today to pick up a lei for Wendall, who is flying home as I type. We stopped by the bookstore where I found the authors of a book I've been wanting to buy. They were under a tent outside the store, talking and signing. Wendall had very little interest, so he wandered to the next tent, which was for the Relay for Life, a race to raise funds for cancer research. They gave him grapes and balloons and had a great time talking to him. It is rainy here today, so there are not many people wandering about outside.

I finally got the book I wanted and I called Wendall inside so I could pay for it. He pointed out one of the people he had just been talking to, who was now inside the store. We said hello, and Wendall told me that the man had been fun to talk to.

As I approached the counter, the two people he had spent the most time talking to came up to us with a bag. "Wendall, we had so much fun talking to you about heros that we wanted to get you something!" they said, and they handed him two books! One book is about the Justice League, which includes Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman. The second book is a Spiderman book. I have a feeling Uncle Kurt might be called on to read that one to him.

The fact that these two strangers would go out of their way to be extra super kind to a little boy makes my entire being happy. My heart is smiling, and will smile every time we read these books. I am filled with aloha right now, and I want to share the joy with the world.

Anthony and Jaime, thank you so much for sharing your aloha with us. We will carry this memory for a long long time.

No comments: