Monday, May 09, 2005

Home is Where Your Heart Opens

Mahalo, Hawaii.

In 24 Hours I will be heading for the runway. I wanted to write this ahead of time, as a love letter to what has become my spititual home.

When I arrived in Hawaii I had no idea what his place would hold. I had never put much thought into these islands, other than what my brother had told me--it was one of his favorite places on earth. I knew it was beautiful. I knew it had an amazing history. I knew it would be a place that I could grow to love. I knew nothing.

I live in the center of the island, at the base of a mountain. I live far from the beaches and rainforests that are so amply covered by photographers worlwide. Still there has not been one day that the beauty of the view from my front door has not touched me. Every single day, rain or shine, someting will catch my eye and my heart. I carry a camera with me everywhere, not just for photos of the boy, but also for photos of the paradise which surrounds me.


The people here are a complex group of travellers. From the ancient Polynesian voyagers who landed here 2000 years ago to the missionaries who arrived just 200 years ago to the hopeful family who are landing as my plane departs, this place attracts those who seek. Whether they seek beauty, or turth, or riches, or joy, it can be found on these islands, far from everything else.

I came because I was told to come. Our small family has very little choice as to where we are sent, but I will say that the idea of Hawaii tickled us. We had asked, oddly enough, for a position in Germany, but we were sent here instead. Now it is time for us to go, but I know that I will spend the rest of my life making my way back to this place.

It was not the first year, but sometime in the second year that I fell in love with Hawaii. watching the subtleties of the change of seasons, having my family join me in exploring my surroundings, watching my son thrive in a place where every adult wanted only to celebrate his existance in thie world. Something about this place grabbed my heart and made me realize that this is "home".

Thank you, Hawaii. Thank you for being.


Home

And I thank you
For bringing me here
For showing me home
For singing these tears
Finally I`ve found
That I belong
Here.

Martin L. Gore

No comments: